Machine Head Tribute
Details of the Machine Head fortieth anniversary tribute album have now been released by Classic Rock magazine. Here is the full track list along with the bands performing:
1. Smoke On The Water – Carlos Santana / Jacoby Shaddix
2. Highway Star – Chickenfoot
3. Maybe I’m A Leo – Glenn Hughes / Chad Smith
4. Pictures of Home – Black Label Society
5. Never Before – Kings of Chaos
6. Smoke On The Water – The Flaming Lips
7. Lazy – Jimmy Barnes with Joe Bonamassa
8. Space Truckin’ – Iron Maiden
9. When A Blind Man Cries – Metallica
10. Highway Star – Steve Vai, Glenn Hughes, Chad Smith, Lauchlan Doley
The CD will come out as a Classic Rock on-pack title, along with a special magazine devoted to both the original album and talking to some of the stars of the tribute. This is out early November. After that the album will be issued as a regular CD in the shops (DTB Online are only able to stock the regular version).
It’s a bit of a mixed bag at the end of the day, with a few big names which lifts it above the run of the mill tributes of this sort but not really enough of an artistic spread to push the envelope. Fans of Carlos will spot that Santana’s take on Smoke was issued about two years ago on an album called Guitar Heaven. Anyhow, review when it comes out.